In 2016 I want to be deliberate. In my relationship with God, with my family and with others. The starting point has got to be prayer. God is so specific in His word about prayer. He tells us in Philippians 4:6-7, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
I’ve “pinned” enough prayer journals to line my bookshelves, but that has not gotten me actively engaged in a purposeful, proactive, DELIBERATE communication with God. After reviewing many excellent examples from Godly sisters, I’ve come up with the following format to work for me in 2016. My deepest prayer is it will encourage you to start your own and become interactive with God the Father who is capable to meet all your needs.
- I started with a standard composition book that was left over from the kids in high school and used all craft supplies I had around already. I didn’t buy anything!
- I covered the composition book with scrap book paper both solid and patterned, adding my own personal scripture to the front.
- Then I covered it with packing tape. It’s my favorite way to protect things and it’s easy!!
- I decided what tabs I wanted in my prayer journal and then made them from solid red paper and extra black/white scrap book paper. I wrote the labels myself and then (you guessed it) used packing tape to stick them on.
- The tabs are:
- PERSONAL: This is where I will daily pray for my 2016 goals, my personal mission and direction from God and for strength to live as He would have me live. Also, other specific needs or desires as they are laid on my heart throughout the year.
- FAMILY: Here is where my immediate family will all have their own section. I’ll pray over each them daily asking God to touch their lives in a mighty way. I’ll list specifics for them all as they are individuals and I’ll get input from them about how I can pray for them. This is a great way to stay close, especially to those “pre-adultagers”. 🙂
- I have some extra tabs and pages so I can add in as I feel God speak on areas on our lives.
- Then I have the days of the week listed with topics per day. This way I know weekly I will touch on each of these critical areas requiring prayer.
- SUNDAY: Our Church Leaders
- MONDAY: Our Church Ministries
- TUESDAY: My Discipleship Groups. All of them; past, present and future!
- WEDNESDAY: Extended Family
- THURSDAY: The Government Leadership. For our Country and International Affairs.
- FRIDAY: Friends (I love Friday!)
- SAT: I pray for the young men and women we are reaching through 12th Man Ministries. I pray for the ministry on Monday, but Saturday is set aside to pray over these young people specifically by name & request where possible.
Leave me a comment about what works for you in your prayer journal and prayer life. I love to grow through others.
I’m praying for you. (Daily <3)
In His Grip Lovingly, Ashlee